Ireland badly need either Sam Prendergast or Jack Crowley to step forward and end the bitter debate over who is their undisputed first-choice flyhalf.
Both have vied to be anointed the successor to Johnny Sexton since he retired following the heartbreaking 2023 World Cup quarter-final defeat by New Zealand.
Both are talented – some countries would die to have two viable candidates for that crucial position – and had their bright moments, notably Crowley in the 38-17 demolition of France in Marseille in 2024.
However, equally there have been times when a Test has appeared to pass them by, just as it did with Prendergast in the nerve-wracking 20-13 Six Nations win over Italy on Saturday.
Indeed it was the introduction of Crowley, 26, which turned the match, Ireland assuming some shape and discipline – his defence is also better than the more creative Prendergast’s.
Ireland coach Andy Farrell said Prendergast would be “frustrated with bits” of his display but added Crowley could be “proud of his performance”.
AFRICA PICKS: Six Nations Round 2 lessons and betting angles
However, Farrell, who seldom voices his anger in public, said outside noise about the two was not helpful and could do them harm.
“Do you know what, I might be talking out of school here, but in my opinion, for what’s gone on over the last year or something, especially with the keyboard warriors, I think people need to ask themselves, really, sometimes, ‘Are we Irish? Do we want people to do well or not?’” Farrell told Irish media.
“It can be tough for these kids. I’ve seen it, to-ing and fro-ing with both of them, and both of them are strong characters.
“It takes a lot to break kids like that. But I’ve seen it affect people.”
ALSO: Three things we learned from Six Nations
The debate, however, shows no sign of dying down with a number of former Ireland internationals diving in.
Conor Murray formed one of the most feared Test halfback partnerships with Sexton for years, and the former Ireland scrumhalf believes it is Crowley, who should start against England at Twickenham next Saturday.
“I think Crowley starts the next game because he did so well when he came on,” Murray said on the Ireland Rugby Social podcast.
“We are going around a roundabout with this one and this is Jack’s turn again. I am just hoping someone grabs it [the chance].”
Some might say Murray would say that being a former Munster teammate of Crowley’s, but ex-Leinster and Ireland great Rob Kearney feels the same.
“Sam looks like a player who is lacking a little bit in confidence,” Kearney told Virgin Media.
“Jack came on and looked like a player who had so much confidence – he made all the really good decisions, kicked two from two.
“Sam missed two relatively straightforward kicks, and that often gives you an idea of where a player’s confidence is at.
“Andy Farrell always says he loves having multiple players going for the jersey, we’re still none the wiser,” added the former fullback.
Some might feel the Irish rugby fans should not complain too much – as for over two decades of this century they had a world class flyhalf with Sexton preceded by Ronan O’Gara.
Indeed Kearney’s former Ireland and Leinster teammate Mike Ross believes Prendergast and Crowley’s different styles are a boon for the Irish.
“I do not think it is a problem, I am all for the No 10 being chosen according to the tactics being deployed in a particular match, or the type of opposition one is facing,” he said earlier this month.
“I would not be surprised if we had both on the pitch at the same time.
“[Hugo] Keenan is injured so why not have Crowley at fullback? Defence is one of the strongest parts of his game.”
That would certainly be a way of ending the debate – for the moment.
– AFP
Photos: David Rogers/Stu Forster/Getty Images
The post Ireland struggle to fill Sexton-shaped hole appeared first on SA Rugby magazine.






